While we may have embraced a low maintenance routine during lockdown, once the world opened up again, beauty was firmly back on the agenda. According to John Lewis’ Beauty Bets report, when stores reopened in April 2021, lipstick sales rose by 178%, blusher sales by 181% and lip liner saw an unbelievable 386% increase.
If you got big into skincare during lockdown, you weren’t the only one; retinol, vitamin C and hyaluronic acid were at the top of ingredient searches, while sales of facial cleansers grew by 82%, moisturisers by 80% and exfoliators by 79%. Skincare brand Kate Somerville enjoyed a whopping 200% uptick in 2021 – we can highly recommend the ExfoliKate Intensive Exfoliating Treatment – and Votary’s Blemish Rescue Oil made the bestseller list.
Charlotte Tilbury’s Pillowtalk Push Up Lashes mascara took the top spot and is so popular it’s now currently out of stock online, followed by Olaplex’s No.3 Hair Perfector treatment. A global bestseller, this weekly at-home treatment has gained a cult following for it’s ability to reduce breakage and visibly strengthen hair.
Some of our favourites to make the cut included Benefit Gimme Brow+ Volumising Brow Gel, Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray Ultra Glow and Givency L’Interdit EDP Rouge. The report also included John Lewis’ beauty predictions for 2022, with collagen supplements, maximal make-up, active ingredients, minimal waste products and beauty tech set to be big news.
Read the full report here and check out the full list of bestsellers below.
JOHN LEWIS’ 2021 BESTSELLERS:
- Charlotte Tilbury Pillow Talk Push Up Lashes Mascara, £23
- Olaplex No.3 Hair Perfector treatment, £26
- Beauty Chef Collagen Inner Boost, from £16
- Maison Francis Kurkdjian Baccarat Rouge 540 EDP, £215
- Aveda Chakra 4 Balancing Mist, £3https://bit.ly/3IrQT5A0
- Aesop Resurrection Aromatique hand wash, £27
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray Ultra Glow, £26
- Benefit Gimme Brow+ Volumising Brow Gel, £22.50
- Diptyque Do Son Hair Mist, £44
- Votary Blemish Rescue Oil, £35
- Givenchy L’Interdit EDP Rouge, from £53
- Hourglass’ Curator Eyeshadow Pan Palette, £10 (with pigments Air and Fox the most popular choices to fill it with)
- John Lewis Scent Series Discovery Box
- The Boost LED Face Mask, £395
- Maison Margiela Replica Miniature Fragrance Gift Set